/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Two Fathers Call Me Friend




I have traveled down a long, rocky road to reach this hallowed seat I took today…
Me, my Dad…and my Heavenly Abba…
Sitting together…
Me learning to trust…
Me hearing the sweetest words imaginable.

My Dad and I meet for a weekly lunch date.
He has reached out to me in this way ever since he and my mom moved back...
 to be surrounded by their children…grandchildren and now great grandchildren.
One thing I have learned over the years …
Love and forgiveness can truly cover a multitude…
And can lead to a “promised land”…
A promised land no longer filled with giants…
But a land flowing with milk and honey.

This lunch date, he is sharing his heart…
worries about losing his health insurance…
concerns about making funeral arrangements.
(I love that he can talk of dying while he fully lives)
He shares intimate words between he and my mom.
He shares a part of himself with me in ways I have never known…
And, to be honest, could not have dreamt in a million years.

As he finished sharing his heart with me…
He paused, looked deeply into my eyes…
And spoke to me the most beautiful words…
“I share these things with you because you are my friend.”
Tears well up even now as I write these next words.
HE CONSIDERS ME HIS FRIEND.

If you knew all the twists and turns that have brought us to this place…
You too would be amazed.
This gift of friendship…
No longer just his daughter…
But now, his friend.

I am humbled and honored…
and count it a most blessed privilege.
My heart’s desire has been to “finish” well with my parents….
to love them honorably…
so this part of their journey would be filled with love and grace.
But when I heard these words…
“…you are my friend”,
something deeper was touched…
A deeper desire awakened to walk more closely…
Giving myself to their service as they turn the calendar to their 88th year.

As I have shared before…
God uses the physical world to teach me about the spiritual world.
Almost simultaneously, as I hear my earthly Dad call me friend…
This scripture speaks to my heart…
I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn't confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. John 15:15

Right there in the middle of Panera…
I have a moment…
Maybe experiencing what it would be like…
To have my Abba Dad look me right in the eyes…
Right into down into my heart…
And tell me…
“ I tell you these things because you are my friend.”

Just as my heart was filled with a deepening love toward my Dad…
to honor him…to love and serve him,
my heart is filled with a deepening love…
to honor Him…to love and serve my Abba Dad…
because He calls me friend.

Greater love has no one than this…
That he lay down his life for his friends. John 51:13

Words fail to express all that transacted in my heart on this seemingly ordinary day.
But this I know, my sisters…
He desires to call us “friends”.
To build an intimate relationship with Him…
Not only one where we share our deepest desires with Him…
But, oh this glorious thought…
That He desires to share the deepest places of His heart with us…
Us His daughters…
Us His friends.

Continuing to count all the ways of His love...with words and pictures


Celebrating my Mom’s 88th birthday...she is amazing!!


Daughter’s first basketball game of the year.
Oh...they thought they could bribe Ellie from her Lolli...never :)

Local friends coming to watch and visit:)
And is happened to be where Ellie...
oh and of-course my daughter and son-in-love live.

Just hanging with Pop.


Teaching her young...TNU is # 1 :)
                                                                        ~4443~4463~
~Monday morning breakfast with hubby
~celebrating my Mom’s 88th birthday
~my Mom sharing her heart
~my Mom’s health and vibrant life
~watching son play basketball
~Fall weather
~my first on-line book club
~becoming more comfortable with my “on-line life” and “real -life” merging
~watching God’s Spirit minister
~wisdom that comes right when it’s needed
~breakfast with a friend…sweet fellowship
~3 hr. car ride alone with hubby ☺
~Ellie time ☺ ☺
~morning snuggles!
~daughter’s basketball game
~friends coming to watch
~getting to babysit Ellie Saturday night
~just the 3 of us traveling home…a new season of life
~sweet conversations…such a gift
~safe travels



55 comments:

  1. Oh my heart...I wish I could give you a hug to celebrate that moment with your dad!

    what an honor on all accounts.
    We tend to wash down that word "friend" in the blogging world I feel sometimes. because it's so easy to love through a screen...but you've encapsulated it so well here, what it truly means. what a privilege...

    and to be able to call Him friend...wow.

    So blessed by you (and by the way, I am proud to call you friend!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki...cyber hugs right back to you...your words are always uplifting...I thank you so much for your kindness...blessings to you my friend~

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Denise...thanks for stopping in...blessings~

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's a moment you won't soon forget, Ro. And thanks so much for sharing that intimate, heartfelt disclosure with all of us. You are blessed and so are we in knowing we have friendship with God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth...I felt like I could not get all that was in my heart on paper...but God know...and I am so thankful that He is willing to call us friends...blessings to you~

      Delete
  4. This is lovely. Friendship someone so powerful and full of authority is an intricate and delicate relationship, a worthy pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kait...amen...thanks for stopping by~ blessings~

      Delete
  5. The story of a deepening friendship with your dad is beautiful. And to think that our Abba ("our other Daddy" my daughter calls Him) calls us friends. It is too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit...yes it is almost too much to take in...thanks for being here...blessings~

      Delete
  6. Being a "friend of God" is mind-blowing, I think. That He calls us friends? Astounding Good News.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer...astounding good news indeed...thanks for dropping by~blessings~

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful moment. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenna...thanks...so glad you stopped by~

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful gift of his words to you, Ro. Very touching. I love that he could be open and tell you that. It doesn't seem like something you hear much because I think parents have a hard time letting go of "parenting" even when elderly. Sounds like you are a "sweet fragrance" in his life and he is in yours now. Thanks for your words at my place today too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam...thanks for your words here...I love the thought of us being a sweet fragrance now...oh how it wasn’t that way for oh so too long!~blessings~

      Delete
  9. Ro, oh how the ordinary moments are pregnant with the extraordinary. I know how you cherish this and am so glad you recorded it, wrote it down. Savor, dear sister, savor long. What a gift this lunch was and is and what amazing Love the Father has for us...so rich, so extravagent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth...yes...I am savoring...I am still letting it all settle in...thanks for your kind words...blessings~

      Delete
  10. wow, what a story of reconciliation. And what a thought to think on, Abba daddy looking down and calling me friend. I'm glad God has allowed you both the chance to connect on this level, we serve a great God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alecia...yes...we do indeed...blessings and thanks for stopping by~

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful post! And what a wonderful moment! Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori...yes it was...thanks for stopping in~blessings~

      Delete
  12. oh my sweet, sweet roseann... what an incredible gift. how i would love to hear my dad call me his friend. truly, what a beautiful moment... and a perfect parallel, with Jesus calling us his friends. it makes the latter so much more meaningful, and real. bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily...when I was your age I could have not imagined this in my wildest dreams...God worked on my heart for years...learning to forgive...accept and give God room to work in both of our hearts...so don’t lose hope of this ever happening...and yes...it drove this glorious thought of Jesus calling us friends much deeper...blessing to you my friend~

      Delete
  13. YOu made me cry and want me out of my relationship with my mom. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbara...so sorry to hear about the pain with your mom...my dad and I have been on a long journey...only God’s grace could have brought us here...may God continue to work His Grace between you and your mom...blessings and thanks for stopping in~

    ReplyDelete
  15. So thankful that God has allowed time to heal your relationship and has even brought it to a place better than you ever hoped. I can only imagine what it would be like to have our heavenly father look into our eyes and call us friend! I'm glad that you were able to have that moment with your dad, such a special moment to cherish. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. “I share these things with you because you are my friend.”

    "Now you are My friends."

    One big giant God bump here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra...glad you hopped over...God is amazing isn’t he? blessings to you~

      Delete
  17. oh my goodness... this was all too much right now..with everything I am going through.
    thanks for the hope...
    its good to know it exists.
    T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T...when I was your age I could not have seen this...but grace...wait hopeful for the grace can come through love and forgiveness...blessings to you my friend~

      Delete
  18. Doesn't it just take your breath away Ro? This is such a tender, beautiful analogy. I love it that you are growing so close to your Dad. I have found the same thing to be true. I see my Dad through a softer lens these days - so different from my growing up years. It is a blessing to have these precious years to fill with a deeper, richer relationship. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda...It is such a blessings to have these years...it is a true gift from God...blessings to you lInda~

      Delete
  19. Ro, for the girls out there who don't have dads in their lives for various reasons - your story ministers and teaches the dimensions of not only an earthly father but Father God, too! Thank you for sharing, for showing. Such a beautiful blessing, having a father care enough to come close like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maryleigh...yes...it is a wonderful blessing...one that I could have ever imagined in my younger years...and the pain of not having that earthly father...how God our Abba Father can minister to that longing place...I really appreciate you stopping by and commenting...blessings to you~

      Delete
  20. How wonderful to have such a wonderful picture of your heavenly Father...how wonderful the healing in a long journey. Thanks for sharing hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen...I am so thankful...thanks for stopping by~

      Delete
  21. Hi Ro, so glad you linked this post up on Winsome Wednesday. Look forward to what you have to share with us next week.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just discovered your blog because I am linking with "Hear it on Sunday, use it on Monday". So touching, it made me think, also of that praise song that I first heard about 10 years ago..."I am a friend of God". Thanks so much for revealing your heart.

    Blessings to you,
    EvieJo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EvieJo...I am not familar with that song...but I am so glad we are called His friend~ so thankful you stopped in...blessings~

      Delete
  23. Learning to trust - yes! Love the family ball game support & fun :) have a beautiful week Ro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli...thanks for dropping by...you have a great week too~ blessings~

      Delete
  24. Oh WOW! What a moment. If only every daughter could hear that from their earthly Fathers. So happy for you that you did:)
    I love seeing all your pictures.
    Thank you for sharing such a beautiful moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin...yes...it is a blessing indeed...the role of a father is so very important...so thankful God has healed mine...thanks for stopping in~ blessings~

      Delete
  25. Oh, what a gift Ro. My heart is singing with you over this precious time with your Dad. And He does redeem all things doesn't he? My grandpa told me over the phone one time that I was their best friend and I've never forgotten that. They have seven grandchildren and two kids. It is an honor to be called friend. I hope one day I will hear that from my father too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly...I love that your grandpa spoke those powerful words to you...and don’t give up hope with your Dad...God is a big God...He proved this to me...but no matter what...your Abba Dad...calls you friend and desires to speak His love to you~ blessings~

      Delete
  26. Such a sweet gift--these lunches with your father, Ro. Your story reminds me how God can redeem the lost years. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura...yes...it is a story of hope...God can redeem all ...so thankful to him...thanks for dropping by~blessings~

      Delete
  27. First--I keep meaning to tell you how much I love the title of your blog--a line from one of my most deeply favorite hymns, the one about how I need grace like a fetter to bind my wandering heart to him.

    And, oh, what a gift you've been given in this time with your father. What a gift you've been given in being able to receive this time. They are real, you know--grace, forgiveness, reconciliation--just like Jesus said they were. And to be able to have these deep conversations about death while still living--they are hard things and avoided by so many.

    Beautiful post. Rejoicing with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy...thanks...yes I love that hymn too...and i so want to tell a better story...and yes...a gift indeed and amen...His truth and way are more real than what we are looking at or having to live at the moment...He is so faithful...thanks for stopping in~blessings~

      Delete
  28. Oh, such sweet memories to nestle snuggly in the warmth of your heart. I'm so thankful that you're being given the gift of time, love, and friendship with your mom and dad. It's so neat how God used these 'moments' to further reveal Himself as Friend. My dad ran into the loving arms of Jesus last week. I ache and rejoice at his passing. Enjoy your time... it's precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...I can only how hard it must be...the ache...and the rejoicing...peace of knowing who he with...but the ache that he is no longer here with you~thanks for stopping in~ blessings and grace to you as you grieve~

      Delete
  29. Such a beautiful celebration you've shared with us. I was honored to care for my mother-in-law the last year of her life and there's such a blessing in a deepening relationship we can find with our parents and parents-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela...yes it is an honor and what a sweet gift if that relationship can be deepened in Love...thanks for stopping by~ blessings~

      Delete