/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Five Minute Friday...Quiet


Five Minute Friday


Now, set your timer, clear your head, for five minutes to just write without worrying if it’s just right or not.

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community...


You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. 1 Peter 3:4


I think from the moment I became a Christian…
 I longed to have a quiet and gentle spirit.
For too many years I tried to conform myself…
  Mold myself to a false ideal...
 of a quiet and gentle spirit.

I tried to be soft spoken…but my northeastern roots interfered with this act.
I tried not to talk too much…well…that did not work either…
I finally decided to let go…and stop trying to conform myself to an image…
I stopped the striving…
and started praying…
Letting go of my ideals…
letting God conform me to His.
Letting Him teach me…define for me…
His idea of a quiet, gentle spirit …
And I now know…it is not necessarily an outward quietness…
But more importantly it is a quietness of spirit…
A quietness that lets God speak…a quietness of mind…of heart…
A quietness that yields to God’s will…
A quietness that can Be Still and Know that He is God.
And as my spirit becomes quieted…
                                  my heart ,my mind and my spirit are gentled as well. 

21 comments:

  1. This is so good. I totally think that this ideal can be so easily misinterpreted to think that people need to change their entire temperament. God made women in all sorts of different ways and we glorify Him best when we are walking in the way He shows us, close to Him. Thanks for sharing your five minutes this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alia Joy...yes...He made us all different...we need to be conformed to His image...not images of others...blessings and thanks for stopping by~

      Delete
  2. Oo - I really like this! This is really helpful, from someone who isn't a quiety sort of person. It makes me think of psalm 131, the child content and weaned in his mother's arms - maybe that is what a quiet spirit is. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya...I love the scripture you added...yes..yes...I think that is so...thanks for dropping by...blessings~

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Denise...thanks for stopping by...have a great weekend~

      Delete
  4. I am still going through this process of learning about the gentle and quiet spirit. Certainly it isn't an outward thing but somehow it can be sensed outwardly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura...yes..I do think it is something that can be sensed outwardly...that gentleness...from the inside out...blessings~

      Delete
  5. i've recently been so challenged by those verses!

    i truly appreciate what you point out here: "...quietness of spirit//A quietness that lets God speak//a quietness of mind//of heart//A quietness that yields to God’s will//A quietness that can Be Still and Know..."

    the verses that come right after talk about how Sarah exemplified this type of gentle, quiet spirit - and somehow i don't picture her as many in the church have stereotyped the virtuous woman according to these words...

    hope you have an awesome weekend... and get to enjoy some quiet stillness with the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richelle...won’t it be fun to meet the woman of the bible one day...I think there will be a lot of laughter because of how wrong we may have painted them to be :)...have a wonderful weekend too....blessings~

      Delete
  6. This is so important, Ro--to claim these unique personalities He has given us but to be settled, in our souls, due to His presence giving us complete rest and peace. I love the distinction you make between the outward quietness and the one that matters, the quietness of the spirit. Thank you, friend. Bless you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer...yes...the one that matters...that is what I long for the most...blessings to you and have a great weekend~

      Delete
  7. define for me…His idea of a quiet, gentle spirit

    Yes...this. I'm taking it with me, friend.
    I'm not sure I do this completely.

    thank you.
    (and I'm loving going through this book club with you by the way!)

    all for Him with hugs to you,
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki...yes...all a new experience for me...but I am looking forward to being with you and the others...blessings and have a great weekend...

      Delete
  8. I so appreciate this! I have never been called "quiet and gentle" and I love that you say it is of the heart, not an outward quiet.

    So encouraging!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful Ro - His idea - yes yes - a quietness in spirit so we can hear Him!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know a friend who really could use this. She's been challenged by some to develop that "quiet and gentle spirit" because her personality is outgoing and bold and questioning. But on the inside, where it counts, I DO see a quiet and gentle spirit in her--she's very humble and desires to please the Lord. It's hard for us to see as God sees. I do appreciate your perspective; it's encouraging! I hope to talk to my friend soon and I'll share this with her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too have struggled to understand just what that quietness looks like. A quietness that lets God speak...I like that. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh, this hit me. I've always been jealous of those gentle, strong spirit types. You know the ones...those who would never let something fly out of their mouth or laugh the loudest. Only recently, am I starting to admire the quiet and gentle spirits, but not want to be them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ro, a friend and I were just talking about this verse on Thursday... thank you! I like your answer here.

    Thanks for your earlier comment on my post "He Surprised Me," and sorry for my delay in getting back to you.

    The friendship with God idea must be a theme God is whispering to a lot of us right now. :)

    Thanks for stopping by, and sorry for my delay in getting back to you.

    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ro, I saw your comments on this morning's incourage blog post about graying graciously. I, too, am further along the aging road than the writer, and in addition to enjoying her post, wanted to hook up with someone a tad older also. I think I will enjoy and be encouraged by your posts. Yes, taking time with God to come to that inner place of peace and quiet is truly the gentle and quiet spirit. Enjoyed your writing.

    ReplyDelete