/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Unpretentious Crosses


“Suffering is the disagreeable feeling which we experience when something …
a situation…a circumstance…does not correspond to our inclinations…
our needs or our hopes…which does not harmonize with them or gratify them…
but on the contrary…contradicts and opposes them.” Divine Intimacy

To be honest…this definition of suffering seems too trite…
too insignificant…too self-focused…
but if I am willing to be honest…
the conflict with my own selfish nature can cause me the most suffering….
 even more than a big one-time act of discomfort…or sacrifice.

Isn’t it easier to accept the great sacrifice of a singular occurrence…
than the little daily sufferings…
coming from our endless, unchanging circumstances?

Don't we desire heroic crosses...
crosses others can see and applaud? 
Or are we willing to carry unpretentious crosses...
 to die those little deaths…let our selfishness suffer...
daily dying to our own desires…our own inclinations?
Will we let disappointments be seeds falling into the ground…
a planting so we can bear much fruit?

Doesn’t God tell us if we are faithful in the small things…
 we will be faithful in the big things.?(Luke 16:1o)
 Isn’t a house built from the ground up?
Aren’t plants grown from small seeds?
Consequently, we need not despise small sacrifices…
the suffering that comes with daily dying.

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23

Through this daily dying…this sacrificing…our spiritual houses are being built…
Laying a foundation…a foundation upon which the virtues of Christ can be fashioned.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1

We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. (Romans 5:3-4)

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be joy revealed in us. (Romans 8:18)

Are we willing to carry our unpretentious crosses
not ones of great heroism but ones that cause us to bow moment by moment …
bowing to Him…to His ways…yielding ourselves …sacrificing our desires …
our inclinations… our needs…sacrificing all…
thereupon allowing Him to truly become our all.


 I continue to count with words and pictures all His Graces...
Too much joy to express in words...pure joy and blessings!!!!!



~4173~4187~


~grandlove #2

~obedience that lifts a burden from another

~new words being spoken into my life

~boldness that comes from trusting God
~a brother in dark despair reaching out…finding Grace
~a birthday celebration with friends
~God’s wisdom…never ceasing
~tenderizing of my heart
~God providing reprieve for those in hard battles
~my mom buying me a crib for grandloves
~pure joy of being a grandmother
~daughter finding peace being the only child
~hope that comes only from Christ


       Join me here.... @Ann's,  Playdates, and Soli Deo Gloria, Graceful,

55 comments:

  1. "the conflict with my own selfish nature can cause me the most suffering…." Yes, that my sin nature would die in order that His Spirit with in me may live through me!! Wonderful post! I love all the Bible verses! Stopping by from Hear it Use it! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danise...so glad you stopped by...blessings to you~

      Delete
  2. Hmm... how appropriate. I've been thinking about "suffering" the past day or so. These daily little crosses...they count, too. Trying to rejoice in these as well. It's rarely easy.

    Very excited about another grandbaby for you!!! Love the announcement pic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa...I love when God whispers to us in many ways...and yes...soooo thankful for grandlove # 2

      Delete
  3. It seems we were on the same page today, Ro. Obviously, I resonate with your words and your struggles with selfishness are my struggles as well. Our pastor gave us several options to choose of things that are hard to surrender and one was choosing not to be selfish. I had to say that's the hardest for me. It's hard to admit, since I feel I've come far in dying to myself. I guess I just have A LOT of myself left to die to. :) Great encouragement and reminder as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth...oh I know...but Grace...oh His sweet grace to set us free.~ blessings~

      Delete
  4. You remind me of the story of the man who took his "cross" to God, to trade it in for another one, more suited for him to carry. God let him into the storehouse where the crosses were kept and let him look around. The man saw enormous crosses, highly ornamented crosses, plain wood crosses, and many more. He asked God to tell the stories of the men and women who had borne such amazing loads. God showed him the ones that had been carried by famous martyrs and unsung heroes alike. After looking around for awhile, the man spotted a small, light-looking cross near the door. He walked over to it and picked it up, declaring that this was the one he desired.
    God, hiding His gentle smile, said, "Oh, but my son, that is the one you came in with."
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli...thank you so much for taking the time to share this story...blessings to you~

      Delete
  5. Just had to come over and see what you had written today after leaving your comment! This is definitely a theme for the day! "Carrying our unpretentious crosses"...what a lovely picture of humbleness and humility. I need a dose of this today! :) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy...yes...HIs Spirit speaking to us today...blessings~

      Delete
  6. Oh the daily dying to little things...there is the hard stuff. But He calls us to it. So much truth. And the announcement--so adorable and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina....I do just love how my daughter told us...so sweet:) blessings~

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the new grandbaby!! I've got grandson #3 coming in November. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tammy congrats to you as well...such a blessing~

      Delete
  8. This is where I'm at....I don't know if you read my post on 'sacrifice'....whoa! You took the words right out my mouth (you said it better though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlece...i will try to pop over soon...Oh I am not sure I said anything better...look forward to hearing what wisdom you wrote. blessings~

      Delete
  9. love it! look at that precious baby - excited for you - again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli...joy...joy for sure...blessings~

      Delete
  10. Congrats on grandbaby #2... such truth in accepting whatever cross God gives us knowing He uses all of it to change us...really like your phrase "unpretentious crosses"...to humbly accept...thanks, Ro :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly...yes...may we humbly accept all things from His heart...blessings~

      Delete
  11. Wow, the term "small deaths" keeps coming up for me-- guess your post is a Holy Echo. Hooray for that grandbaby growing in the secret place right now. And what a GORGEOUS photo! Makes me think I announced my pregnancies in really boring ways! Blessings, neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia...I love that....Holy Echo...and yes...they are much more creative in making announcements these days:) blessings~

      Delete
  12. Giving thanks with you, and yes, being a Nana is the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that definition of suffering you quoted is eye-opening and true. Your words speak such truth and conviction..."let the selfishness suffer." Good stuff! Thanks, Ro. Great reflection to start the day.

    Congratulations on your exciting news!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa...yes when I read that quote...I had to chew on it to let it digest. we are so very excited for another grandlove...have a great day:)

      Delete
  14. Your writing is so beautiful, and so wise. I have found it true. It's difficult to be obedient in the small things - to not speak that word on the tip of my tongue, to be patient, to give up the one thing I really wanted to do today....it goes on and on.

    What a blessing - another grandbaby. Such precious gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda...thank you for your kind words...and oh those words...how they can slip right off. So much in the need of grace...and yes...we are thrilled with another grandlove to love on:)

      Delete
  15. Linking up after you at WIPwed - these are such good thoughts. Thanks so much - glad I came by and read them. And congratulations on grandbaby #2 coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherry...nice to see you hear...yes we are so excited...they heard the heart beat today:)

      Delete
  16. This is very timely insight for me as I am waiting on God for His wisdom and leading! Thank you for being His conduit to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia...oh I am humbled and blessed...thank you...I love when God whispers to us in many ways...blessings and grace as you wait~

      Delete
  17. Mmmm. Some really necessary questions here. I thank you for having the courage to ask them of yourself -- and of us. Wise, wise words. I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer...I so appreciate you and all you do as well...blessings to you~

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Denise...thank you so much...glad you stopped by~

      Delete
  19. "Are we willing to carry our unpretentious crosses…" I really like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel...thanks...I want to live in that small quiet place with Him...blessings to you~

      Delete
  20. So good, so wise. Loved your list. "Obedience that lifts a burden from another" that one is SO good and will make me think next time I'm called to do something and I start to procrastinate.
    Congratulations on grandlove #2:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This lifting a burden was a surprise to me...I followed God...and in that following...it lifted the burden of another...when my dad shared with tears it hit me hard...wow...i had no idea when I obeyed...probably right now the obedience impacted him more than the one who was on the receiving end. THis stirred my heart to want to do the small and big things...we may never know who it lifts another’s burden. and yes...so excited....they heard the heart beat today:)

      Delete
  21. beautiful, beautiful words. "not despising small sacrifices." yes, that's where i am. learning. trusting.
    blessed by your sharing,
    steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steph...learning with you my friend...blessings to you~

      Delete
  22. You hit the nail directly on the head for me... very clear and very concise these thoughts on suffering. It always seems like such a big word... embraces so much pain... but really if I think about its meaning as you wrote it for us, it is true.

    so how much suffering do I bring upon those I come upon each day, by my words and by my actions. How flexible am I to bend for others so they might not 'suffer'. May we not grieve the Holy Spirit but walk yielded to God's will.

    I loved your "obedience that lifts a burden from another"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks for you words here...amen..bend for others so they might not suffer...so good. thank you so much for stopping in~

      Delete
  23. oh friend. first of all, i'm so happy about your new grandbaby! may God continue to bless you. and secondly, i love the way you dig deep. the way you seek Christ, and the way you help us find him. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily...yes we are so very excited...thanks for stopping in~

      Delete
  24. this is so true. my own disappointments mine me in selfishness, a shallow suffering of my own choosing. incline my grateful heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. suzannah...too many shallow sufferings...so thankful for His Grace that comes to bring us freedom to live outside ourselves...thanks for stopping in~ have a blessed day~

      Delete
  25. Yes, the only cross of consequence was Christ's. Our are the little crosses. And I gladly bear them for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. WHAAAAAAAT!!!!
    here I am nodding along to a list of daily sufferings and thinking about this in my life...
    Then
    BAM... new grand baby!!!!!
    I am so excited!
    Congrats!
    T

    ReplyDelete
  27. Listening with my heart here. And taking a deep peek inside. So many times I resent those unpretentious crosses. But this is the stuff of life, no? Looking for beauty in those little things. Thank you, Ro.

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks for the sweet inspire
    and for nudging my heart open
    to the light of his face
    ...the beauty of your blog
    soothes and delights:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow Ro - This post got me right in the gut! So true. Too often we desire heroic crosses others can see...that the little, daily sacrifices and surrenders God is calling us to. Daily. Will carry this post with me all day as I meditate on it's truth and significance, my friend. Bless you richly, jen

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never thought about it this way, but you are so right. It may be harder for us to make those small seemingly unseen sacrifices precisely because they go unnoticed by anyone but us. Thanks for linking up with WIP! And Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Woops I just posted as my mom! That was me...Mary Beth from New Life Steward

    ReplyDelete