/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Ships are Ships


“For the tongue is a pen, which pressing deeply enough…whether for good or for evil…will write upon the heart. “ Mystery of Marriage


The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. James 3:6

Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts.
Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. James 3:5

I tell my children…ships are ships…
All relationships are the same…
Husband/wife
Siblings
Parent/child
Friends
So no matter what ship you are on…
US and Indian Navy ships sail together at the end of training exercise.
learn how to build that relationship…
learn now between brother and sister
parent and child
The lessons learned here will carry you out into the world…
with friends
one day with spouses
and eventually your own children.

No matter the kind of ship we are on at any given moment…
Every ship is fueled by the same thing…
All are powered by words…

Words can be like glue…holding us together…
 giving these relationships sustaining power through life’s journey.


 Or words can be like poison…
Slowly killing a relationship
Or bringing it to a quick painful death.


And why is it…
a few negative words can erase all the thousands of positive words spoken?

 And why is it that even the deepest of relationships can be destroyed…
Dismantled in a matter of moments…with only a few harmful words.

Is it because we all underestimate God’s words?
God’s warning of how powerful our tongue is?
Because if I…if you …really took to heart God’s wisdom in this area,
we would not fire careless words so easily.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

The tongue has the power of life and death,
and those who love it will eat its fruit. Proverbs 18:21

And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth.
Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right. James 3:10

My friends I know the harmful power of the tongue…
I am guilty of not using my tongue…my words… wisely over the years.

But thanks be to God …He renews our minds…
He transforms our hearts…
His mercies are new every morning.
And so may we, as woman,
model a better way for our children…
To guide the ship of our homes...
With a tame rudder …our tongue.

“Only speak words that make a soul stronger.” Ann Voskamp

. ..for out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. Luke 6:45

But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' Matthew 15:18

Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. Colossians 4:6

Words from a wise man's mouth are gracious,
but a fool is consumed by his own lips. Ecclesiastes 10:12

Join me today @Ann’sGod-bumps. Duane WLWW,Life in BloomWIP


14 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a reminder I needed to read, Ro! A person very dear to me and I had a misunderstanding. Our words were not the most charitable. I have apologized and pray that I hear back soon, words of love, forgiveness, and acceptance. Bless you for this timely, truthful, precious reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn...I understand...these last 2 post are where I am living too...whether our words and love fall on fertile soil and received or on hard soil and rejected...God still wants us to walk in His love...full of mercy and grace. these places are where we find the Divine Love to walk in. blessings and I pray that reconciliation will be found

      Delete
  2. I've used my tongue in a way that doesn't make a soul stronger unfortunately but I'm growing in this place. You've reminded me about being intentional about training my children as they communicate with each other, not just for their relationship but for those they will have in the future. Such wisdom here Ro. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly...there is so much to be learned right in those childhood years...how to live with people who are so very different ...personalities...girls hormones...guys need to be respected...on...and on...it is such a training ground for the future. thanks shelly...blessings to you~

      Delete
  3. Ships are ships, I love the way you said this. This is an area we have been talking about with my boys. We don't realize how deep we slice into the hearts of others by the words we speak. So much truth here, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina...what grace for God to open your eyes to help your boys...blessings and continued wisdom as you raise these guys for HIs kingdom~

      Delete
  4. Ro, I coudln't respond in the appropriate place, so I'm just placing another new comment. But just know how much it helps to know that others are walking this path. I really do feel in this case (thank God!) that reconcilation will come...it just may take a little while. But sadly, a life-long friend has chose to remove herself from my life, with no word of explanation. I have prayed and prayed and racked my brain to know what I might have done to offend her. Finally, I have had to let this be with the Lord; He knows that I have not done anything wrong (in terms of my own conscience). And if my friend won't tell me how I may have offended her, then there is nothing more that I can do.......except that I am praying for her, and I left the door of invitation open to her, should she ever wish to walk back across the threshhold of friendship. It is a deep pain, and yet there is peace in knowing that I have tried. Thank you for your courage to address this delicate subject. I pray for good soil in your relationship too and for peace and reconcilation! Love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ro,

    What a wise mama you are to teach your children this truth. Your post affirms my feelings about time spent recently with someone, who continually denies the truth of her hurtful words, and even justifies them...your post is a balm on my weary heart and a love note from God...thank you, and xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly...how sad to think how rampantd this is in the body of Christ...so sorry for your pain...may you find the grace to let go of the words...grace to let go of her making it right...and grace to walk in love no matter what. I am on this journey with you...blessings to you~

      Delete
  6. A good, good word here, Ro. You live this. You really do. You offer life-giving words, soul-strengthening ones. Love, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer...your words bless me...thanks for your kindness always...blessings and enjoy all the weekend has for you!

      Delete
  7. Oh, there is so much wisdom here. Words truly are that powerful. I am encouraged to emphasize this with my own children throughout their growing years. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ro,

    I tagged you in my post http://soulstops.com/post/2012/08/23/Eleven-Random-Things-About-Me-and-then-some.aspx I hope you will join in as I would love to get to know you better :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry, it is http://soulstops.com/post/2012/08/25/Eleven-Random-Things-About-Me-and-then-some.aspx

    ReplyDelete