/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Transforming Ordinary Moments Into Cathedral Moments


God has been speaking to me about everyday moments…everyday cathedrals…
cathedrals aren't just built with brick and mortar…
but cathedrals are truly built within our hearts…
we don’t have to go to a place of worship
our hearts are to be a place of worship…living cathedrals...breathing cathedrals…
giving praise and reflecting His glory.

Here are two quotes that express what is in my heart better than I could ever write.
One quote is from Ann…
the other is an excerpt from one of my favorite authors, Mike Mason…
who also hails from Canada…

from 1,000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp...
"How do you open the eyes to see how to take the daily domestic, workday vortex and invert it into the dome of an everyday cathedral?"

from Practicing the Presence of People by Mike Mason...
Brother Lawrence is known as the 'kitchen saint’ because he actually experienced more of God’s presence in the kitchen than in his formal times of prayer. “He found that the best way to reaching God was by doing ordinary tasks entirely for His Love,” and “that it was a great delusion to think that time set aside for prayer should be different from other times, for we’re equally obliged to be united to God by work in the time assigned to work as by prayer during prayer times.
Brother Lawrence abolished the hierarchy of activities. He silenced that snoot little voice that tells us that some things are more important than others. If this were really the case, it would follow that the less important things should be treated with relative contempt. …...To exalt one part of life over another is to devalue ourselves and cheapen the human spirit.“  

Did Brother Lawrence abolish the hierarchy of activities because he knew when building a friendship with God, one doesn't have to wait for special occasions?
 A friendship is built by time spent…in ordinary moments
Brother Lawrence gave God full access...continual access...
no matter where he was or what he was doing.

By God’s Grace…We are building this kind of friendship…
A friendship that meets me in the trenches, comforts me in the valley, 
and brings joy to the mountain top… 
always an abiding presence...even in the everyday activities of life...
I am learning to let Him transform my ordinary moments into cathedral moments…
a place of everlasting worship.
Won’t you join me today in building cathedrals of praise in the simple moments of life?


Continuing to count and build  with words and pictures....
My last trip to the DMV...that alone can be thousand thanks:)
Helping my daughter- in- love make goodies for a wedding she is doing.
She’s amazing...this is what she did for her own wedding!
Loved the beard...for a while...but I do love a clean shaven- face:)
~2582~2600
~daughter getting driver license
~my own personal errand runner…the boys were never so enthusiastic to go to the grocery for me
~kids who still come in our room late at night just to hang…so little time left
~a husband who encourages me with blogging
~sunshine
~birds singing
~everyone in the kitchen laughing and talking
~quiet mornings
~running in the heat
~breakfast Saturday morning with hubby
~weekend walks/runs together
~guys playing golf…girls baking together
~cock pot dinner…thanks Jessica Turner
~becoming “half nesters”  empty house much of the time now.
~a healthy marriage and friendship at this stage of life
~watching kids find their own spiritual paths
~entrusting them to God
~Grace that fills the places we miss













54 comments:

  1. I love these two quotes! Looking forward to making my ordinary day a cathedral of moments...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kd...yes lets live in a wonderful cathedral today....blessings~

      Delete
  2. LOVE that term - everyday cathedral....yeah. and great great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendal...yes living and breathing ones...thanks for stopping in...blessings~

      Delete
  3. Although, I know you quoted another author telling his story, someone told me about Brother Lawrence. They said I should find his book and read it. I think I just might.

    I just breathed in the truth you shared here... I will take it with me throughout my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele...Practicing the Presence of God by brother lawrence...you would love it...I also think you would enjoy Mike Mason’s writings as well...His heart reminds me of Ann’s...
      blessings to you...let’s build beautiful cathedrals moments today~

      Delete
    2. Thank you for sharing...you are a true blessing in my life :)

      Delete
  4. When I was in my twenties there was a statement that I heard many believers say, "PTP or Practice the Presence." They would post "PTP" in all sorts of places to remind themselves to focus on God at all times. I've often thought of that phrase over the years, trying to keep God in my focus at all times. This is just another beautiful reminder to pursue our Father as long as we have breath! Love your words here, Ro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth...I love PTP...I will take that with me...thanks for stopping by...blessings~

      Delete
  5. Yes - ordinary moments made into everyday cathedrals. Love that concept. And it is SO true.

    I surfed on in from a blog hop and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for taking the time to outline it so beautifully.

    Have a wonderfully blessed day,
    Patty from www.fanta4two.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you surfed in...have a wonderful day too...blessings~

      Delete
  6. Really liked your quoted quotes by Brother Lawrence!
    Congrats to your daughter! Our house is getting emptier, too. One gets married the 7th of July. One is leaving for college in mid-August. Enjoyed your blessings and can so relate to many of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy...oh yes these times of transitions...3 completely out of the house...one going off to college and now an only child. really wanted to drink in all these moments...so glad you stopped by...blessings to you as you transition also...

      Delete
  7. I loved Brother Lawrence's book. There is so much sacred in the everyday. Because He is everywhere, everything can reflect His glory and goodness. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina...oh yes...so much is sacred everyday...thanks for coming by~

      Delete
  8. brother lawrence is one of my heroes. i love the pictures, friend. you have such a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily...oh I love him too...I really think you would love, love Mike Mason’s writings...so excellent...and he is a Canadian:) so nice to see you...blessings to you~

      Delete
  9. oh, I love Brother Lawrence, and Ann...and I love coming here to visit, and reading how God is drawing you closer to Him...yes, to cathedral moments in the daily...and your family - so wonderful! Hugs to you, Ro :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly...your words are always sweet to my soul...thanks for dropping by...blessings to you~

      Delete
  10. It's funny how you picture a blogger in your head and it's fun to finally see a picture of them! You're so lovely and young...sigh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth...haha..I would find it interesting to hear how you imagined me to look:)...and you do realize the pictures with my husband 3 of them are with my daughter...the one of us kissing is me...not so young...or maybe young depending on whose counting...I do believe you and I are both the same age...getting ready to reach double 5’s:) I trust if you looked around at some other pics...my age would be clear:) glad you stopped by...this made me chuckle~

      Delete
  11. Oh I love brother lawrence...as someone like myself who is constantly cooking I know I totally relate to the meeting Him in each moment....and in the set aside prayerful ones.
    What a happy fun list.
    T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T...I remember those days...I also like the susanna wesley view of prayer...she would just throw her apron over her head and her kids knew she need time with Jesus...blessings to you~

      Delete
  12. I'm definitely with you on this one! Building a cathedral with every unrecognized, faithful act right here, right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. theresa...nice seeing you...let’s continue to allow God to build living cathedrals...blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the "cathedral moments." The whole reason why cathedrals were originally built so large was so that the worshipers could experience the greatness of God. If we look in our every day moments, we would see the greatness of God being played out in our lives - cathedral moments. Love it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon...yes... in everyday moments we can see His greatness everywhere...I am glad you stopped by...blessings~

      Delete
  15. "The best way to reaching God was by doing ordinary tasks entirely for His Love." Love this. I find the cathedral moments are more often found in my everyday. I'm grateful I read your post before my day begins. I'll be looking for God's presence that turns my day of research and writing into stained glass windows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela... I know God will meet you right in the middle of words and pages...blessings to you stained glass day~

      Delete
  16. Living my cathedral moments today as I prepare for the return of my sweet daughter from Jamaica. Love all your photos Ro. My is your daughter talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly...oh enjoy hearing and gleaning all your daughter found in Jamaica...and the talent...is actually my sweet daughter-in-love...she is amazing:)

      Delete
  17. I love this thought! Just being in the Presence of the Lord of the Universe--oh my! Yes! That truly is a cathedral moment. We can bow to His Presence anywhere that our heart reaches out to Him. I love your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy...thank you so much...and I am glad you came by...blessings to you~

      Delete
  18. So true.Realizing this more everyday and your post was a great reminder.
    Keep up the God work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori...this unfolding grace...blessings as we keep being awaken to the simple moments of our days~

      Delete
  19. Love this post!~Thanks for stopping by Hello Butter,where we live cathedral moments always! Happy God brought me here today,Blessings~Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellobutter...so glad you stopped by too...blessings to you~

      Delete
  20. This is just lovely! I love this phrase: "everyday cathedrals". That's it,isn't it? Because worship is in every moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura...worship is in every moment...amen...thanks for dropping in...blessings~

      Delete
  21. when building a friendship you dont have to wait for special moments...that is a great line...and i love practicing the presence....i carried that in my pocket for 6 months once just to reread snippets....good stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian..oh Brother Lawrence is so good...and I highly recommend Mike Mason...He is a gifted writer...I can’t say enough about him. blessings to you~

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. Jennifer...yes my last trip to the DMV...the baby is starting her journey...wings spreading and before long...my last will leave the nest...:) :( always mixed emotions . thanks for dropping in....blessings~

      Delete
  23. You always paint such a pretty picture ;) Love the kissing picture and "daughter in-love" have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli...your words bless me...you be blessed as well.

      Delete
  24. This reminds me of a book I cherish, Altar in the World by Barbara Brown Taylor. Truly, those holy moments are all around, for the taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara...I have not heard of that book...i just might have to check it out...thanks for dropping in...blessings~

      Delete
  25. Ells, I love that expression "everyday cathedrals" too, and you demonstrate so well how to search them out! Love the Ann quote too, as I tackle a messy house today. Blessings to you today, and loved seeing your name and picture at my place today. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine...blessings as you find Him in those everyday cathedrals He builds...thanks fro dropping in...blessings~

      Delete
  26. I've been a Brother Lawrence fan for more than 40 years. His practicality and straight instruction and sharing. Never needs to be "adjusted" to our present-day culture. The truth remains.

    ReplyDelete
  27. practicing the presence.... That's my take away today.... how much I need those words to root deep within. Thank you Ro, for joining the link up today. I am so humbled by and grateful for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ordinary moments....that's my take away today. (and how did I miss this post earlier?) I know I was ready for it today. Thank you...

    So blessed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A beautiful post of seeing the beautiful in the ordinary! So many amazing gifts! Happy to see you through the Always Alleluia link up, thank you for visiting!

    ReplyDelete