/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Five Minute Fridays. Real



When I think of real…the Velveteen Rabbit comes to mind…
And this dialog says it all.
"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"
"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."
"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.
"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."
"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can’t be ugly, except to people who don’t understand.”

Oh isn’t this true…it takes time to become our realist self.  Oh yes…we have to touch pain that we have kept hidden…we can’t continue to be careful…
it doesn’t matter what we lose in the process…because we gain so much.
For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. Matthew 16:25

And once we are made real in Him…we don’t see the ugly…
we see the beauty in ourselves…therefore we will see the beauty in others.

Truly knowing we are loved by the Father, transforms us to live real and free.

Join us all in the fun @ Five Minute Fridays.

22 comments:

  1. Love how you brought in the Velveteen Rabbit to share on realness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that story...thanks for stopping by...have a blessed weekend.

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow, yes: "And once we are made real in Him, we don't see the ugly, we see the beauty in ourselves, therefore we see the beauty in others." Thank you, thank you, Ro. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Ann’s quote...”The remedy is in the retina.” How we see God...how we see ourselves is the lens in which we view the world...I see beauty in you:)...Jennifer...have a sweet weekend...blessings~

      Delete
  3. too fun! As soon as I saw Lisa Jo's theme for the week, my mind went to the Velveteen Rabbit too. Great minds think alike. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi...oh yes they do...glad you dropped in...blessings to you~

      Delete
  4. LOVE this! I didn't grow up in a reading home. I have no memory of my parents reading to me, but I was introduced to the Velveteen Rabbit in nursing school, of all places. I clearly remember one of my nursing professors reading it to us in class. It was a one of a life-changing moment for me. Thank you for taking me back there, Ro. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...I think that is why I “forced” myself to read so much to my kids... I wanted them to love books...my oldest(Amy right below) she developed that love for reading. My daughter is a nurse(now retired) and what a great book to read to nursing students...I love that. Glad you dropped by...blessings to you Patricia.

      Delete
  5. I bet you quoted The Velveteen Rabbit from memory... I am pretty sure that was my favorite book for YEARS!
    Real... ugh.:)
    This quote also always helps me in being real:
    “Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket--safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”
    C.S. Lewis
    Love you mom! See you in a few hours:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey there...YES JUST HOURS !!!
      I love this quote....especially the casket...ouch! you post piqued my interest for sure:)
      Love you amo...can’t wait to see the WHOLE family...but my arms are so ready for Ellie:)

      Delete
  6. Oh, the Velveteen!
    "once you are Real you can’t be ugly"
    I'm taking that one with me...and pulling out my copy of this today.
    thank you, Ro! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nikki...this is such a classic...hope you enjoy the reading...blessings to your wonderful weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! When you are real, you can't be ugly. Yet the description of fur rubbed off, eyes falling out, loose joints, shabby...so contrary to our cultural beauty or eternal visions of youth. Thank you - this is a fun post, made me laugh at my own shabby visions of youth and vitality - reminded me to just snuggle and love and be "Real."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the older we get...the more dear the Velveteen rabbit becomes...shabby but loved...blessings to you and thanks for stopping by~

      Delete
  9. LOVE what you wrote and The Velveteen Rabbit...thought of it also but did not use it in my post because I couldn't find my copy; funny how we were on the same wavelength :)...Thanks for being real and beautiful, Ro :) Blessings to you and yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly...yes it is my friend...may your weekend be full of real beauty~

      Delete
  10. Velveteen Rabbit -- really true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stoping by...blessings~

      Delete
  11. I love that you said "once we are made real in Him," what a powerful picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amymay...our truest self only comes from Him...glad you dropped by...blessings~

      Delete
  12. Oh what a wonderful story and such a powerful analogy, packed with wisdom...I'm so thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Velveteen Rabbit. On a different level all together, reading that God makes me "real" blessed my heart.

    ReplyDelete