/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Keep Your Dancing Shoes On.




60 years ago my dad was asked to go on a blind date...
On that first encounter, this couple danced to "Stardust" by Nat King Cole.
As crazy as it sounds...that very same evening...
my dad boldly pronounced he would marry this young lady.  
My mom…she laughed…but 6 months later, they married and the rest is history.
If I had to title their story…”They Kept Their Dancing Shoes On.”

Here is a clip of my 87 year old parents dancing to that first song-“Stardust”
on their 60th wedding anniversary celebration...
and then they really put their dancing shoes on.


We celebrated their life together…
a marriage that was preserved through all the trials of life.
A marriage like good wine…got better with age.
Here they renewed their wedding vows...at 87 years old.


My parents where surrounded by their legacy…
Children…grandchildren…great-grandchildren.


Granddaughters dancing with Pop-Pop to 
the song he sang to them when they were young.

 
No dancing for these guys...
Cake cutting... wedding day, 25yrs, 50 yrs and now 60yrs.

This day was a celebration not only of their marriage…but of God’s faithfulness.
We could celebrate together…
not because we had or have today a perfect family…
No…It is only by the Grace of God …the One who teaches us to forgive and to love.



This wonderful weekend was topped off with Amy and Ellie staying an extra 4 days J

Amy got to visit her favorite place.
Oh no!...Ellie likes watching people play Mario Cart.
A sick little one...but oh such sweet snuggles.
May we all keep our dancing shoes on as we count all the gifts given to us!!!
~2321~2342~
~parents who stuck together through it all…60yrs
~God’s faithfulness and kindness to teach perseverance
~our children seeing and reaping the fruit of forgiveness
~pure joy on my mom’s face
~extra days with Amy and Ellie
~holding Ellie while she is sick
~Ellie leaving me with something to remember her by...her cold and runny nose :)
~sweet baby sounds
~smiles and “conversations” with Ellie
~just hanging and relaxing with Amy
~getting a trip in to downtown Franklin.
~all the kids under one roof and sitting around the dining room table
~daughter continuing to practice driving ...less than one month
~seeing God’s kindness being poured out on the hurting
~taking walks with hubby
~breakfast and good conversation
~friends going to Ghana to meet their boys
~God shedding light
~grace for the silence...growing in trust
~God’s is Love
















 










33 comments:

  1. Wow. This is crazy good. At 87 years old, dancing and renewing vows. (And they still have moves too!) True love. Thanks for sharing your rich heritage. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa...we thought we might have to do mouth to mouth on my dad when he was done...we thought...well...he rather go out dancing...God has been so faithful blessings to you~

      Delete
  2. Such a rich family story that keeps on playing in the hearts of all of your parent's children and grandchildren. Beautiful, Ro! A very inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth...have a great Monday~

      Delete
  3. oh my goodness that picture of your parents renewing their vows at 87 just choked me up!
    what a wonderful story...a legacy to follow.
    so wonderful.
    T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T...it was emotional to watch...to be honest...I never could have imagined all of us being where we are today...God has been so kind...blessings to you~

      Delete
  4. Oh my... thanks for sharing! I am smiling so big right now :) I loved the video of them dancing.. while I am typing this.. my toddler just poured soda down my back -- that's my cue... gotta run, but so glad I had a chance to visit today :)

    Love,

    Michele-Lyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele...sorry about the soda...those sweet little ones:) thanks for stopping by...blessings to you as you tend to those kiddos~

      Delete
    2. Ha.. no worries.. it was a few drops left in a can of mountain dew... I was sitting outside with her while she was playing and found the can someone must have left outside. She was done with me being on the computer -- and she is not afraid to tell me!

      I just love you ... blessings friend :)

      Delete
  5. ok Ells - you made me cry :) happy tears of course - I love that sweet video! I hope Mark and I will renew our vows at 87! I'm so blessed with a husband like him - their story reminds me of my parents who are celebrating their 46th anniversary soon - I have a letter from my father at the age of 16 telling my mother at 14 that she is the ONE for him (he was her brothers best friend) I am so thankful to be a part of their legacy. thank you for sharing yours!!! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli...wow...I love your story too...and I with you...may we with our marks keep allowing the Lord to deepen our love for Him and for one another...thanks for stopping by...blessings~

      Delete
  6. Oh how beautiful! A love for 60 years. And to renew their vows, that must have been so wonderful for you to witness. Thanks for sharing your sweet memories:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina...more than you could know...there is a lot of history here and I am standing amazed at God’s kindness...could not have painted a picture this beautiful in my imagination....blessings to you~

      Delete
  7. Wow! I could see the love as they danced together and your family...so much goodness to celebrate, friend :) Blessings upon blessings to you and yours...praying you recover quickly from your cold :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dolly..I have never enjoyed a cold so much:)...blessings to you my friend...wonderful Monday to you~

      Delete
  8. Oh what a treasure this post is, and your parents look and dance like they're sixteen, not sixty! Amazing! You brought tears to my eyes, knowing that true love lasts.....and wishing my Daddy were still here. He and Mother knew each other for sixty years, but were married for fifty-eight. Hold your parents closely, as I can tell you are doing. Treasure every moment with them. You are living God's command to honor your father and your mother. Thank you for sharing their legacy with your readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lynn...thank you for the encouragement...I do want to honor and serve them well. My mother-in-law is a widow...they would have been married 60yrs as well. I truly see what a gift it is to have them both alive and extremely active at this age. Thanks for stopping by...so proud of you commenting...the next step is blogging:)

      Delete
  9. What a heart-warming glimpse into your family's life and at your parents' example of faithfulness. Thank you so much for sharing it!
    And, omagoodness, I just watched the video! Wow! I'm dumbstruck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sylvia...yeah kind of crazy...especially considering their age. thanks for stopping by...blessings~

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful inheritance! What a sweet video full of life! I remember watching my grandparents dance on Main Street of our small town to a big band that played in the twilight on our town's celebration day. That zest for life, the willingness to step out and dance in front of others is imprinted in my heart!

    So glad you got to spend such beautiful, snuggle time with your grandbaby and daughter. So sorry you don't feel good! What beautiful memories to wrap yourself up with, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids a wonderful view of what getting old looks like...my mom still plays 18 holes of golf about 3-4 days a week. Oh yes...a getting a cold has never been so sweet. thanks for stopping by...blessings~

      Delete
  11. I loved the video!!! What a legacy to leave their family, you are blessed. My husband's parents made it to 63 years. I'm going to go tell my husband we need to go get some dancin' shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow...63 years...maybe I can make a new video than. Oh yes..get those dancing shoes. blessings to you~

      Delete
  12. Yes, you know, I'm really feeling this dancing theme. Gaby (The Glass House) linked up about dancing, too, in her own way. What a blessing your parents are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen...I will have to check out gaby’s post. It was a very blessed weekend celebration...so very thankful. blessings to you~

      Delete
  13. Beautiful! Your parents' love story makes me smile. I hope I've still got my dancing shoes after 87 years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia...me too...me too...thanks for stopping by..blessings~

      Delete
  14. So, so beautiful! Congratulations to your parents on 60 years - it was so sweet to see them together in your photos! (And thanks for visiting me at Pursuing Heart!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful. What a lovely milestone to mark. Congratulations to the dancers! Such a romantic story...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ro, I am in tears. Wow -- your parents dancing! DANCING!! Just stunning! What a beautiful family you have! There is obviously so much love and closeness and unity and cause for celebration here! Love the joy on everyone's faces, and oh, your gifts of gratitude. You help me SEE. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love this story so very much! what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, how beautiful. To see the picture from when they were married, to reading your words, to the current photos...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing this beautiful occasion and the pictures too! Just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete