/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

His Masterpiece.


My husband and I had the privilege of accompanying my Dad (then 85 yrs. old) back to Rome one last time. He feels more at home in Rome than anywhere else.
The miracle of me taking him there has a story of its own…


We spent days walking through history...beauty and the brilliance of men long ago…
Each piece of history we visited seemed to be outdone by the next…
But for me, the one place that really stood out was the Sistine Chapel.
One could spend all day studying this magnificent masterpiece…
the details …the texture…the story.

Back in the 1980’s the Vatican started the restoration process of the Sistine Chapel.
Years of soot, dirt and grime had built up and covered up the brilliant beauty.
 The distortion of this majestic work of art happened slowly over time…
Over the years people became accustomed to viewing this magnificence masterpiece through the grime.

As the restoration process took place…
people where stunned by what was hidden behind all the grime.  
Hiding underneath layers of filth, were vibrant colors in an array of hues…
colors that had not been seen in hundreds of years. 
After years of careful cleaning…
All was restored …
Once again everyone could behold what was in the heart of its creator.

source

Aren’t we God’s masterpiece…painted, designed and created out of all His Love?
He paints out of His character…the very reflection of Himself.  
And like the Sistine chapel…the grime of life comes and covers up God’s beautiful masterpiece.
And we too become accustomed to seeing ourselves and others…
 Tarnished and beauty buried…hidden from view.

For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Psalm 51:7

We too need to allow God’s restoration process in our lives.
We need to permit God to come and cleanse away all that covers…
Everything masking His beauty within us.
He will patiently restore all our brokenness…
But you, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in mercy and truth. Psalm 86:15
Oh, how He longs for each one of us to be fully restored back to the original masterpiece…
the one made in His image…the one bearing His likeness.

Let us all yield to His love…trust in His goodness …
continuing to be transformed into the image of God.
So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord--who is the Spirit--makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image.
 2 Corinthaians 3:18


38 comments:

  1. Yes. Cleanse me Lord and I shall be clean! Beautiful photos and beautiful thoughts. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mariane...I pray along with you...amen...thanks for stopping by...blessings~

      Delete
  2. I love the way art reminds us that we are His handiwork. He is making all things new! So thankful for His grace that cleanses, refines, and makes whole. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina...oh yes...all things new...so thankful for His grace...blessings to you~

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful...may I allow God's Word to cleanse me so that His colors can shine through...My church is having a women's conference on this very topic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kd...I love how God weaves themes together for us...I pray you are refreshed at the conference...blessings~

      Delete
  4. really great analogy, and how cool to be able to see what is hidden underneath---as with us over time as the grime is stripped away....i like this...cool pics too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian...won't it be wonderful to see when the full glory is revealed...blessings to you~

      Delete
  5. "how He longs for each one of us to be fully restored back to the original masterpiece…
    the one made in His image…the one bearing His likeness."

    i love that, Ro. makes me think of God's plans and goodness, His kindness and His thoughts for me today. thank you. leaning into Him to trust that He will bring the beauty forth. and love that last part, too--that verse--one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, im foggy headed this morning--forgot to say lovely Wednesday to you, blessings as your children race toward new heights and cross new rites of passage. you must be so proud! love you. xoxo.

      Delete
    2. Nacole...oh yes to see all the kindness and Love He has for you...this is what cleanses us...and yes so much going one...God is faithful:)

      Delete
  6. I love this. I love the pictures of before/after. I've been to the Vatican after the restoration, but didn't know what it looked like previously. Wow -- what a remarkable difference!

    This post makes me hunger for the restoration of the hand of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly there was a small place in the corner that they kept unrestored so you could see the difference. ...thanks for stopping by...blessings~

      Delete
  7. Lunch. Done. Read a great blog post about Rome, grime, and how I'm a masterpiece. Done. Wait this wasn't on my list. :) Thanks for this.

    -Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert...glad you had lunch...and I hope this helped it be a little better...blessings~

      Delete
  8. Oh that I am His masterpiece, that He restores my soul... I needed these words today. I need this truth....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris...oh I pray you see more clearly the beauty in Christ you are:) blessings to you~

      Delete
  9. H and I were planning to go to Italy for our anniversary and then plans shifted and now we are going to England and Scotland, leaving next week. All that beauty is what draws me to that place. And the analogy you gave here, and the photos, really brought that truth home. We truly are His masterpiece, even when we feel like junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly...wow what a wonderful anniversay trip...I pray it will be s very special time for you all...blessings to you~

      Delete
  10. Yes, cleanse me oh lord. I was fortunate enough to live in Naples during the restoration of the chapel. I was lucky enough to visit it many times during the restoration process. I had a friend who worked on the project and was able to view the work close up. The cleaning was done with very small swabs. It was a meticulous process. Thanks for reminding about the masterpiece I am to my father. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happygirl...how incredible...what a neat experience...yes..meticulous but gentle...just like our Father...thanks for stopping by...blessings~

      Delete
  11. We do get used to the tarnish and the grime, don't we? I've been to the Sistine Chapel both before and after the restoration, and the difference is miraculous. Seeing it in all its magnificence is a glorious experience, just as was intended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol...to see the before and after...wow...yes...just as was intended...may it be the same for us. thanks for stopping by...blessings~

      Delete
  12. i want to be restored.

    i love the idea that we're all the Sistine chapel... and it makes me wonder what kind of art lies beneath my grime.

    love to you friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily...I can tell you...exquisite art...no doubt about it:) xoxoxo to you my friend.

      Delete
  13. Amen!

    I love the truth you've woven in there. Those verses fit so perfectly that my heart just ate them up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you visiting...will try to hop by your place...blessings~

      Delete
  14. I went to Rome while in college, but DEFINITELY want to go back as an adult. As someone else said here in the comments, you did a great job of weaving in Truth here. So glad you've linked again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer...I will go with you:)...always a blessing to be at your place...thanks for hosting...blessings to you~

      Delete
  15. I visited Rome some ten years ago. Seeing the restoration that you show here, I'm thinking maybe I should go and take another visit. But I guess I should do some cleaning up of myself first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne...I would love to go back as well...and let's let God gently continue the cleaning process...blessings~

      Delete
  16. Oh, Ro, I love how you have uncovered the beauty of God's loving restoration work in us...so encouraging...and so glad that God provided for you to be able to go back with your dad and your sweetie...Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly...yes it was gift from God...blessings to you!!

      Delete
  17. Wow. What a gorgeous setting to be reminded of such deep truths. We are indeed his masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Court...we are indeed...thanks for stopping by...blessings~

      Delete
  18. Clean, restored and transformed, yielding to his love and trusting in his goodness, this was encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a blessing to be able to accompany your dad to Rome. Gorgeous pictures. I love Ephesians 2:10.

    ReplyDelete