/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Grave Clothes?


Do you and I live the resurrected life or do we still walk around with our grave clothes on?

“Do we love ourselves?
Or are we still wrapped in the grave clothes of self-hatred…not loving who we are in Christ? If so…how do we live this part of the resurrected life?

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these.”  Mark 12:30-31

Are we patient and gentle and kind with ourselves?
Because isn’t the resurrected life full of the Spirit?
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23

Or are we continually doubting, berating, and condemning ourselves?
Are our heads full of negative self- talk ...
talk robbing us from the hope of our new life in Christ?

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, 
the new has come! 2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1

Do we easily let go of mistakes and wrongs, or do we keep a strict record and punish ourselves severely?

Love is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, 
it keeps no record of wrongs. I Corinthians 13

For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, 
no longer counting people's sins against them. 
And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.2Corinthians 5:19
                                             


How we answer these questions tells us if we are wearing grave cloths or walking clothed in His garments of righteousness.  
These are questions I have had to ask myself…
because for too many years I was so harsh with myself…
did not easily forgive, show mercy toward myself…
or have hope that this body of sin and death would ever find resurrected life.
 I saw how this thinking affected me…
but I never saw how it affected those around me…
Then I read this line…“The way you treat yourself is the way you will treat others.” Practicing the Presence of People .

I was mortified…my negative lens toward myself, clouded my vision toward others.
When I could not extend grace to myself…I had no grace for those around me.
As I was preforming to earn God’s love…people around me had to preform as well to receive my love.  I could go on and on.

But overtime by God’s grace and mercy, He is unwrapping these grave clothes…
clothes that would continue to strangle His resurrection life in me.  
He is taking my focus off myself and all that I am not…
to focusing on Him and all that He is.

 He that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with grave-clothes; and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus said unto them, Loose him, and let him go.
John 11:44
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. Heb. 12:1

Let’s let Jesus come…calling us to “come forth” out of our graves cloths…leaving them behind and now be clothed in His royal robes of righteousness.
And living in the world as resurrection people.

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1Peter 2:9

I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. 
Isaiah 61:10

Join me today @ Ann’s and Imperfect Prose.

30 comments:

  1. Am I still wearing grave clothes? Good question. How I treat myself is how I treat others--that is piercing. Thanks for this post and the passages of Scripture. You are always such an encouragement to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. christina...thanks for you kind words...those words did piece my heart...so thankful for God's mercy here. blessings to you~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea Christina! God says to come forth...and I so want to. Why is unwrapping the grave clothes such hard work sometimes?
    Summer@athirst for God

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. summer...yes sometimes we get to comfortable in our stinking rags...blessings~

      Delete
  4. Heading back to the closet. I need a wardrobe change already. :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa...oh I am with you on a good wardrobe change too...blessings to you~

      Delete
  5. My grave clothes are laying at the bottom of my closet now. I am lifting up the robe as I crawl into my van and go grocery shopping. Hope I don't step on it in the cereal aisle! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly...I hope you have royal shopping today:) blessings~

      Delete
  6. This is powerfully written and beautiful. Christ can redeem, and He will forgive. Anything else is a lie of the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandee...yes anything else is a lie:) have a blessed day~

      Delete
  7. If we don't accept the grace, can we give grace to another? Poignant writing. Thanks for reminding me who I am because of who my Lord is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happygirl...I need to be reminded myself...blessings to you~

      Delete
  8. wooo girl...i need this.
    I have just been through the ringer lately.
    I could drink this up again and again.
    T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T..sorry you have been through the ringer...but sometimes when we get squeezed like this...more of us/flesh is left behind...grace to you as you journey on this path.

      Delete
  9. love this: "But overtime by God’s grace and mercy, He is unwrapping these grave clothes…
    clothes that would continue to strangle His resurrection life in me.
    He is taking my focus off myself and all that I am not…
    to focusing on Him and all that He is."

    i pray He does this for us both...He leads us so gently...as i read this, i am hoping this body of sin and death finds resurrection life!
    love you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nacole...gentle He is...love to you my friend.

      Delete
  10. Love this, Ro, because it is exactly in line with what He has been saying to me post-Easter...He is ever so merciful and lovingly tender...so very grateful...am learning more and more to live into the truth of His resurrection...it took His disciples time also so I am encouraged. Blessings, dear one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly...yes...Peter...thomas...sons of thunder...all so encouraging....and they got to see Jesus face to face. God is patient with His children. Blessing to you dolly~

      Delete
  11. I've never thought about the metaphor or grave clothes in this light before, Ro. It's a great insight that you're sharing with all of us and certainly one that I personally needed to hear. Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth..I am blessed you were helped...God is so faithful to continue to set us free. Blessings to you~

      Delete
  12. This: “The way you treat yourself is the way you will treat others.”

    Whoa.
    There is so much to think about. My one word this year is Cultivate-- which it became after I thought it should be Beloved. It is a theme that i am trying to work on-- to recognize my true nature as a BELOVED CHILD of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith...good theoughts...thanks for stopping by~

      Delete
  13. Loved this. He calls us out of the dead life into a resurrected one of beauty with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Court...amen to that! blessings~

      Delete
  14. oh friend. this really moved me. do i truly love myself? i would love to repost this on my eating disorder blog if possible... would you mind? if not, could you email it to me at some point? (wierenga.emily@gmail.com) bless you friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Em...it would be an honor my friend...humbled~

      Delete
  15. my negative lens toward myself, clouded my vision toward others...bang that is spot on...and understanding the love that god has for us...and loving ourselves allows us to truly love another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian...still need my lens more clear...but thankful He knows how to do eye surgery. blessings~

      Delete
  16. this is truly a glory post!!!!!
    I am in total agreement with all these wonderful truths... they are ours in Christ Jesus! Be of good cheer... He has overcome the world.

    How we answer these questions tells us if we are wearing grave cloths or walking clothed in His garments of righteousness.

    “The way you treat yourself is the way you will treat others."

    {powerful words)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fisherlady...thanks so much...my we treat ourselves and others as He treats us:) blessings~

      Delete