/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

One Ripple at a Time.


Our family birth order is unique…there is 13 years between our oldest daughter and youngest daughter.  So the youngest has watched the older transition into adult life. 
(I am so thankful and blessed for the example she is providing her younger sister.)
Now that my oldest is a mom…
my youngest and I have had some sweet conversations about motherhood. 
These are conversations I wish I could have had with my oldest…
but my perspective now is different than it was 13 years ago.
I have always held motherhood in high reqard …
but now, from where I stand…I see its treasure with more clarity.

I remember as a young mom being in church and people asking me…
What’s your calling? What are your gifts for the body? 
I wrestled my self-worth against these questions.  
I wondered…
Isn’t being a mother a calling? Doesn’t being a mom effect the kingdom?
Now young moms have a new place to measure their self-worth.
The blog world.
 Now they measure their self-worth by how much impact they hold in the blog world…
What are the numbers?  How many followers? To whom are you connected?

I explained to my youngest how moms question their usefulness…
They question how they contribute to the family…if they don’t bring financial help. 
How do they contribute to society...
when they are home wiping noses, changing diapers, and kissing boo-boos?

I believe with all my heart…moms are the most influential people in the world.

Read these words of our President Theodore Roosevelt:
  No ordinary work done by a man is either as hard or as responsible as the work of a woman who is bringing up a family of small children; for upon her time and strength demands are made not only every hour of the day but often every hour of the night. She may have to get up night after night to take care of a sick child, and yet must by day continue to do all her household duties as well; and if the family means are scant she must usually enjoy even her rare holidays taking her whole brood of children with her. The birth pangs make all men the debtors of all women. Above all our sympathy and regard are due to the struggling wives among those whom Abraham Lincoln called the plain people, and whom he so loved and trusted; for the lives of these women are often led on the lonely heights of quiet, self-sacrificing heroism.


“When all is said and done, it is the mother, and the mother only, who is a better citizen than the soldier who fights for his country. … The mother who does her part in rearing and training aright the boys and girls who are to be the men and women of the next generation, is of greater use to the community, and occupies, if she only would realize it, a more honorable as well as more important position than any man in it. She is more important, by far, than the successful statesman, or businessman, or artist, or scientist.”



In this age of instant everything…
microwaves…Facebook status….YouTube…twitter...etsy and blogging…
making the big splash has come the norm.
So much of mothering is about the small ripples…but we want the big splashes. 
I guess with age…I have come to view life more simply…
I see life like the ripples of water…
Life moving from the center outward…
One ripple at a time.

The first ripple in society….our family
The very center is the marriage…
A marriage that reflects our relationship with Christ…
Parents who reflect God’s love to our children….
The next ripple…our children…
Children being raised with a strong foundation of love…love for Christ….
love for each other….when we raise strong, healthy children….
each one ripples out to touch this hurting world. 
Their lives continue to ripple out into society…then their marriages…their children…
the rippling continues.
What we do now affects generations to come.
 If we fail in our homes are we really successful anywhere?
Motherhood is the very embodiment of sacrifice.
Days filled with the insignificant, endless, unnoticed sacrifices. 
Days of carrying unpretentious crosses…
ones that require us moment by moment to bow…
to the giving of ourselves to others. 
Giving with no immediate feedback…no instant results…no recognition nor prestige.

I know at times we all question…Does what I do really matter?…
Am I making a difference?
Yes…what you are doing matters most…we are world changers…one child at a time.


Join me today @Ann's and  Journey Towards Epiphany.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I always learn so much when I visit here. I need the wise words of those who have walked before me. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on.
    This is such awesome encouragement for those of us serving in unseen ways.
    Also, on a personal note -- I am the oldest of 4 and my youngest sister is 12 years younger than me. We have a very close relationship, and I must say, to her credit, she is *much* more mature at her age than I was. A beautiful family dynamic, indeed.

    Glad I stopped here today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you Christina...blessings to you~

    Kelli...Glad you stopped by too...my daughter is the oldest of 5...I bet you both could commiserate together:) blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you wrote this post, Ro. It really needs to be affirmed to women over and over again. We all get bogged down and discouraged and lose sight of how much of a difference we are making in what feels like "the mundane" of motherhood. Loved your words and the quotes too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks...my heart for younger moms feels full sometimes...still have a hard time putting in words what I feel in my heart. I thankful is some of it came through...blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! My husband and I are in a discipleship study at church - a study that challenges us to be more intentional in our discipling of others, and I think that the most important place for me to be doing just that is in my own...with the children and grandchildren God has put under my feet. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patricia...i am just starting the joy of getting to be a grandparent who can impact another new life...it is a priviledge...blessings to you~

    ReplyDelete
  8. And as I look over the important mommy years in the past and enter the not as involved mommy years in the future I still hope for a well-done judgement in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom, you did an amazing job teaching, and displaying, for me what a beautiful gift and awesome responsibility it is to be a mom! I have no doubt the years have provided you infinitely more wisdom to impart to Gracie in words, however i truly believe the desires of your heart were the same when i was growing up as they are now. You actes out what you maybe weren't yet able to put into words. If Elliw ia ever able to say she had a good mom, its because you loved and trained me well! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your daughter said it well in the comments. Not sure I can add anything to that. She bares the fruit of a life well lived right there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your daughter said it well in the comments. Not sure I can add anything to that. She bares the fruit of a life well lived right there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kd...yes...the heart of every mom...I am sure you are doing a job well done...blessings~

    Amy...your words bless me...you my dear are doing a wonderful job...you are in your sweet spot and Ellie will rise up and call you blessed...it is a joy to watch you mother:) I Love You!

    Shelly...thank you...humbled by her words...Love does cover much and I am so thankful for Grace...Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kd...yes...the heart of every mom...I am sure you are doing a job well done...blessings~

    Amy...your words bless me...you my dear are doing a wonderful job...you are in your sweet spot and Ellie will rise up and call you blessed...it is a joy to watch you mother:) I Love You!

    Shelly...thank you...humbled by her words...Love does cover much and I am so thankful for Grace...Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved this! All I ever wanted to be was a wife and mother and I have had the priveledge of being just that. The greatest role in the world :) Thank you for encouraging the younger ones!

    PS~Your daughters comment, wow, what a gift ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kristin...me too...even though I did not grow up as a christian...this is all I ever wanted...My heart is for younger moms...if just one could be encouraged...I am so thankful and yes...what sweet gift indeed.Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ells - this is wonderful. I wish I had been able to read stuff like this as a young mom. My girls are 16 and 19 and I can see the differences in them for having a stay at home mom and I'm grateful for that. But up until now I also wondered at my value. Such great wise words. One ripple at a time, our influence. Great post and thank you for linking it to Winsome Wednesday. I think its something all mothers (and children I reckon) should read!
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is no greater calling. I think Satan tries really hard to attack mothers because they are so important. And it is so easy to fall into that trap of uselessness. this was a great post.
    i think Teachers are almost second!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, that made me cry! Absolutely beautiful! And I agree with you...I am not a mother yet but I have felt for some time now that being a mom IS my calling. I listen to people talk about what they want to be when they grow up (careers and such) and all I can think now is "I want to be a mom". I love the job I'm doing right now but it's not my calling.

    I love your post! Don't ever doubt again that you make a difference in the world. Just your blog post ALONE can make a difference, not to mention what you teach your children (leading them to teach their children, and so on). You are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree wholeheartedly. The most fulfilling, rewarding ministry God ever gave me was being a mama.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ro!

    i dont know how i missed this! i have been out of the "loop" the past couple of weeks, pulling back from the blog world, not reading and commenting as much...and somehow missed this gem! this is what we talked about! im honored that some of the words you shared with me made it onto this post. thank you so much for sharing this with everyone--young moms need to know this! thank you for the *beautiful* way you mentor me. love to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete