/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Me...My...I...


Sacrifice…this common word…a word that shouldn’t need any defining…
because as a Christian…
 shouldn’t I automatically know the sacrificial life?
But I feel drawn to look up this word.

Sacrifice…to offer something precious to deity.

As I read the definition a key word pops out...PRECIOUS
To sacrifice is to offer the precious
 I look up the word precious…great value…greatly cherished.
So to live a sacrificial life…I am to sacrifice something that I greatly cherish…
And this begs the question…WHAT DO I CHERISH?
A look in the mirror reveals the hard truth…
Time…status…accomplishment…pats on the back…
The list could go on…
But it really all boils down to this…
Me…My…I…

What keeps me from living a sacrificial life?…myself.
Oh, I can do the big sacrifices…the sacrifices that don't reach deep within me…
And these acts can even appease me for a while…
feeding the false sense that I am a giver…

But in reality...doesn’t true sacrificial living happen in the small...
the seemly insignificant moments…
the ones that come right under my roof…

As a young mom…kids pressed in all around…
wanting too much of me…
or at least that is how it felt…
I wish I would have understood more of this sacrificial life as a young mom…
I wish I would have…
Answered the questions …when I just wanted to be quiet…
Embraced the interruptions…when I just wanted to get the chore done…
Took the time to listen…when I just wanted a swift solution..
Spent the extra time by the bedside…when I was ready for “our time.”

Even now as a mom homeschooling teens…
where learning is done more independently…
Me…My…I…still rears it ugly head…
I still get into my own world…this blog world…
and I still can resent the interruption…
Is there growth here? Is there a difference?
Yes…my heart may still find itself wanting …Me..My…I…
But when self rears its ugly head…I turn more quickly…
Yield myself to Him in the moment…sacrifice in the letting go to Him…
Because this sacrificial living is a lifetime journey…
a life of yielding to the moments…
giving up my will...

“…no place will be too low, not stopping too far, and no service too mean or too long if we may but share and prove the fellowship with Him who said, “I am among you as one who serves.” (Luke 22:27) Andrew Murrary.

             Join me as I link up with Ann and Kd@Journey to Epiphany...
                                      I promise you will be blessedJ

17 comments:

  1. I really struggle with the "me" sacrifice in mothering. Thanks for this encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good reminder for me. I had those same regrets from when my kids were small. Now that they are teens and older, I often get caught up in "my world" too. So your words are helpful to remind me to sacrifice for them as long as I'm their mom. Thanks, Ro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read your posts... you are like a mentor to me through your writing...

    Do you know I have an almost 2 year old, and an almost 18 year old, who is graduating (homeschooled) next year?

    I feel as though I have a 4th chance to mother right.. and I still fail miserably... but grace of course, I lean on grace...

    Every day I think for a moment what I regret from the day before, with hope to live this day differently... and it is always the same... it's those small things that I've shooed them away over... and I should have...


    "Answered the questions …
    Embraced the interruptions…
    Took the time to listen…
    Spent the extra time by the bedside…"

    Thank you for this reminder... Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina...dont' we all...thanks for stopping by...blessings to you...

    Messy...oh we need to continue to spur one another on good works...mothering...blessings~

    Michele...oh Michele..humbled...God will continue to change us...I am learning to fix my eyes on Him...not myself...because He is the author and finisher of my faith...not myself...His mercies are new every morning...
    blessings to you...I am sure you are loving your kids well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree and identify more with your post. Now that I know I'm not alone, I pray He will give us all the strength to sacrifice self and serve more, laying ourselves low.

    Thanks for checking out my blog, A Heartening Life. I appreciated your comment!

    Christy
    accewillard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. christy...none of us are alone...we are all on a this journey together...thanks for stopping by...blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Offering the precious! I have never looked at sacrifice that way. Wonderful food for thought!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog today! I'm with you on the mom's looking at their phones so much that they are not looking at their kids. I mean, really looking at them. I want to build a relationship with the people who are in my life for all of my life, not the ones who may not be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer...that really jumped out at me...made me think a little deeper what sacrifice looks like...we live in a time that when it's so easy to be distracted...blessings as we walk very present in each moment...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Friend. Just love this pulling out of truth from the well within. Oh, how I can relate. I especially liked, "Oh, I can do the big sacrifices…the sacrifices that don't reach deep within me…" In reading this, I ask myself....Why is it the surface acts of giving are easier than those from deep within? Why the sacrifice for others/strangers, easier...than those we administer to those closest to us...like our own families. Yes, it all must come down to the core of Christ likeness....humility. Uughh. Continually thankful and encouraged by you & your words, friend! Blessings ~ jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your thoughts echo a coffee conversation I just had yesterday with a friend who related a sermon she heard about Mary and what she sacrificed when she watched her son's hands and feet be nailed to a tree. The one she held in her arms years before. I have been asking this question too. What do you want me to sacrifice Lord, knowing how much he sacrificed for me. I so relate to what you say Ro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. shelly...I think this is a universal struggle for all mom's...giving of ourselves...from the smallest to the biggest ways...yes to live that surrender life...only by the Grace of God...blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  12. shelly...i have tried a couple of times to comment...I am having trouble with all the wordpress blogs???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen...just saw where you slipped in...so good to see you...yes...ugh...humility...the only soil true love and sacrifice can grow in...blessings to you Jen...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed reading this post...and the food for thought to ponder! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for stopping by...blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think we've all been to the me my mine I world. What an empty place!! and yet we become repeat visitors so often.

    ReplyDelete
  17. kd...yes..an emptiness that provides nothing...I want the emptiness the fills with more of Him...thanks for stopping by...

    ReplyDelete