/*URL: http://www.AllBlogTools.com/ */ .basictab{ padding: 3px 0; margin-left: 0; font: bold 12px Verdana; border-bottom: 1px solid gray; list-style-type: none; text-align: left; /*set to left, center, or right to align the menu as desired*/ } .basictab li{ display: inline; margin: 0; } .basictab li a{ text-decoration: none; padding: 3px 7px; margin-right: 3px; border: 1px solid gray; border-bottom: none; background-color: #f6ffd5; color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:visited{ color: #2d2b2b; } .basictab li a:hover{ background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; } .basictab li a:active{ color: black; } .basictab li.selected a{ /*selected tab effect*/ position: relative; top: 1px; padding-top: 4px; background-color: #DBFF6C; color: black; }

Friday, August 26, 2011

Gray and Gracious


To grow old gracefully….I have always heard that statement used…but to be honest I am not sure I have witnessed this very often.  To be honest…it’s us women who seem to miss the mark.

For days….everywhere I went…a store…the doctor’s offices…restaurants …God unplugged my ears…opened by eyes….and what I was seeing and hearing was not pretty.  Older women….who were complaining…. whose tone was sharp…who talked impatiently to their husbands….who did not wear the smile of grace.

This is when I vowed…pleaded with God to teach me…change me… so as I grew older…I would have a quiet and gentle my spirit…so I could be a woman of grace. 

I knew the work…the changes… had to begin right then…yielding…releasing…letting the transforming power of Jesus do a deep work.

So I told the Lord….I want to be gray and gracious…and so the process began those years ago.

I am now over the half-century mark…I am graying very slowly for a woman my age…I am not sure what that says about my progress


20 comments:

  1. how adorable are you! I hate when people say "oh you argue like an old married couple" drives me nuts. Why after being married for so long are they still arguing? doesn't give us much hope for future does it. I do love more than anything when I see "gray and gracious" couples shopping for groceries together or holding hands across the restaurant booth with each other...Love should grow - thank you for that reminder this morning! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are that couple...my husband is my treasure....
    Thanks for stopping by...
    blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't tell you how much this speaks to my heart. My eyes have been opened, too, in the past year that I've spent more time in doctor's offices and a number of waiting rooms than ever before. I've been embarrassed for the men, ashamed of the women, and begging God to keep me from becoming like them. I'm already gray. Lord, make me gracious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post...there are days when I am not as gracious as I should be. Thank you for this reminder to strive for this daily with the help of God!!
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patricia...may we journey together my friend...gray and gracious ladies.

    This is part of the fall...we women all seem to struggle with graciousness...but thanks be to God....He is able to transform.
    Thank you for stopping by kerri...
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ells - So beautiful. Boy how I can relate. I, like you have noticed the same thing. Older women getting bitter instead of better. Like you, my prayer has been to grow in grace, be gentle, meek, tender with age. Wear "grace with a smile" as you most beautifully say. Just love this Ells. Your sister-in-grace ~ jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen...thanks for the encouraging words...let's travel down that road of grace...by His grace...
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so sweet. I want to be gray (well, in a few decades) and gracious (right now would be just fine!). Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen...I wish I was a bit younger when my eyes where open...you have a big jump start from where I started...But God is merciful...
    Thanks for stopping by...
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny that my sister is your first comment this day.
    What kind of coincidence is that!...I click here and I am like...umm...how does my sister know about you...lol.
    Small world.
    Loved reading this... I know what you are talking about with the bitey wives... I must say I am not normally like that...although evacuating a vacation sure does give me a little more bite....
    You are so in the vein of what women need to hear.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gray and Gracious! I like that. That is what I want to be too. It does seem we get grumpy as we age and I don't want to be seen that way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Let's start a revolution... the gray brigade..powered by our graciousness...one soul at a time...
    Thanks for stopping by..
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was precious to my heart tonight! A word a very much needed to hear! Thank You!!! You are progressing well, I do believe & trust...our Jesus smiles upon YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such sweet words...thanks for stopping by...
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing how you've chosen God and being "gray and gracious" as a goal instead of gray and grumpy!

    Thanks again for being a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes...by God's Grace...not gray and grumpy...
    Thank you for taking the time to comment....
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this! I too, have prayed many times for Him to help me grow old and gracefully. I am approaching that middle mark soon and the gray hairs are coming. I throw on the highlights to camouflage those, but you cannot camouflage the heart. And I don't want it to be, I want it to be real! Thanks for the reminder to be always be working on this goal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristin...I like... you can't camouflage the heart...so true...like you..I want to be real.
    Thanks for stopping by...
    blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! Oh how I want to be gracious too. I've got the gray part down, but I get that covered up. I pray my graciousness would be as abundant as my gray hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a blessing to be able to recognize that in others and choose different for yourself. I will make that my prayer too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete